Pages

Saturday 11 September 2010

Two weeks to go. [This goes to all my friends-House Godesses]

Today is September 11 and nine years ago I was in USA, just grasping enough English not to understand what has happened until latter in the afternoon, when I was back home after school and my host mom explicitly explained what has happened. The magic words were 'The country is closed!'

Nine years latter, I am sitting in one of the most harmonious places I can think of - my Mom's beach house's kitchen, just lit a fire in the own, since it is quite chilly already. Another autumn has come unexpectedly fast and all I want to do is to bake muffins and make stews from the Julia Child's cook book. Autumn leaves have started to fill our yard and life today seems so far away from life in Ghana.

I will, once again, have to put aside my love for perfectionism and home sensation in the terms of having a lovely homemade meal, proper vine glasses and room that resembles holly home-feeling. And this is ok, cause traveling and moving to a new and exciting place is done for the sake of not getting bored of the home feeling and regular life, it is to feed my inner nomad and learn new recipes, new cultures, new believes and brake my own perceptions of how does a house look like.

I just realized that Julia Child did have the life I might be longing for - a diplomat's wife with the freedom to discover the local culture and have a purpose for her life. And yet, doubt that I would ever be the perfect stay-at-home-by-the-stow wife, mainly cause there is so much more to see and do outside the home! You need to leave to want to come back. I am leaving in exactly 9 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment