Pages

Monday 27 September 2010

Keneshi Police station - my new landmark!


I am moving to the next level of adapting to the local culture quite fast. Today I learned two new signs/hang gestures that symbolizes the direction of where to the tro tro or shared taxi is going to. Also connected dots and realized that to get between Henry's and Akua's house is easier, I would just have to walk up a dark/safe street for about 5 minutes! Right from the Keneshi Police station to the North Keneshi round about! ;) And I also discovered a nice bar next to my new home, which, funny enough is called the BIG BOSS! A lovely place and my plan is to make friends with the waiters so that I get double shot for the price of one! heheh 

It is so great, when things start to make sense. When prices are local rather than a price, which makes no sense to you! As part of my education today, I went to a local market with another CSer and this place was local, I mean it [Nima Market]. Definitely no obrunis [white people] and the dirt mixed with food, chaos and crowd... GOSH, what an experience! After walking behind and betweens some stools, we came to a dead end kiosk area, where the meat was sold. I was aware of the fact that I shouldn't perhaps enter it, but I thought it might put me off from eating meat for a while... well, I do looked at my piece of chicken for dinner and wonder if it also came from the same place! 

Do you about the health inspection and sanitary rules when it comes to food!? Well, my mom sort of teaches that and sets up these rules in Latvia... so I grew up in a very sterile household [I know, my former flat doesnt prove that thou heheh]. So here it was.. the raw meat just like that lying on a table that has been used as a chop board for decades and sure hasnt seen any water. So day to day the wooden table is being filled up with meat juices and blood, adding some heat and mosquitoes... WHAT A SCENE! 


Tomorrow is beach time for sure! :) 


Note to myself : palavi souce - me like it, red red = beans with rice, banana price - 3-4 per 50ps, papaya 1cs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment