Pages

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Surreal Ghana moments.

One morning, two mornings, three mornings....many mornings AND I am still smiling and happily enjoying Ghana! The joy, when I see blue sky and sun outside my window and in my room, as soon as I open my eyes, gives me power for the hours to come that day!

And then the smiles and positive attention I get from the locals... charges me up! And the genuine love that my new friends show for me, is a killer. I already feel like at home and it has only been about 10 days since I am here. CRAZY, nah!?

Since my house still doesn't have net and I am lazy to go to the office most days, many things stay untold. I will try to catch up and tell you some of the past days' episodes.

Episode 1: Ediite and the shopping mall

On Sunday my dear friend B took me to the local Mall, as my other friend Akua has told that things in the Shoprite are cheaper and you tend to find everything there! No high expectations, but in my mind I was thinking something along the lines of '1 Pound shop'. HUGE was my surprised when we entered BIG, LIT UP supermarket that had fruit stalls, milk products, meats... frozen goods... I lost it! heheh I was so shocked that I partly lost my speech and just started running between the aisles. I filled up the basket even before I got to look at my list.... heheh Luckily in these cases SEINE men-friends are handy and can speak some sense into me. heheh Rarely, but this time B won! I got back to list and got real with what I want and can afford with the cash I had on me. BUT I will go back! :)


Episode 2 : Exploring city with 'OBRUNIS'.

On Tuesday morning I met Jonathan and Louisa, a British couple that I occasionally stumble upon every other night, they are film makers and sort of in my position - also looking for a job and way to stay in Ghana for longer. So we arranged to meet at British Council to read some UK papers, since there no longer is a library at least a paper for the last weekend to go through. One thing lead to another - we got invitations to attend the British Alumni dinner this Friday! :) Lets see how that goes!

The same day - we came across the National Theater. Both me and Louisa hiked up the stairs in desperate interest to find teh box office and events listing, when all we found was an angry guard who wanted to charge us 1cd for seeing the theater, and pointed at an A4 page glued on the wall that had some events listed and labeled as 22/10 - drama - auditorium! hehehe

Children's Park in Accra
Our next excitement was a park. Children's park - as the sign said. We were so happy to have finally found a park in the city! Excited of the semi green grass,  wondering why the place is empty. Soon to find out by some man that we should not be there and it is closed all days except on Saturdays. And despite the fact that it is a gov. owned public park, it is still not for public. Go and wonder!?

Finally we discovered a research library just to find out that the latest book is from 1995.... :) Go research in Ghana! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment