Pages

Monday 11 October 2010

Shop in style in Ghana.

There are various ways to shop in Ghana. One was already described in my previous post - shopping in a Western-style supermarket in the Mall. The other two options will be discussed in this blog entry.

My favorite - MARKET SHOPPING.

There are various markets in the town, the one near by my home is the Kaneshi Market that consists of a 3 story   building and houses everything from raw meat, fish, grain, spices, vegetables and fruit on the first floor, toiletries, plates, electrical devices, can foods etc.  on the 2nd floor and clothing on the 3rd floor. As you wonder through the many stalls there, very rarely will you find that you are looking for straight away. Just ask! The golden rule of ASKING QUESTIONS and you will very soon find the needle in the straw pale.

Past weekend I was looking for a cloth/material in Kumasi market [see a video] which is the biggest market in West Africa - luckily I had a guide with me, who got me to the needed area in no time, so my visit was short and aim was completed in less than an hour [You have no idea how hard it is to choose a material for a dress!!!!]



















The 3rd way of shopping, and this one is most unique for me, is the street shopping! As a pedestrian you will pass by many street sellers and ladies carrying goods on their heads. For examples, juice or shoes, but nothing is limited. Depending on the area you are in and the target auditorium, one can find shirts, shoes and ties being sold by the street vendors. They will also move around between the cars in the traffic jams, so you do not even need to leave your car and can combine the shopping with being stuck in traffic! [Note to myself: If I ever become a head of a city in Latvia, this should be implemented in the busy Riga streets in the traffic hours!]


No comments:

Post a Comment