Pages

Friday 15 October 2010

Beauty treatments/standarts in Ghana.

This week, like very 3rd week in my life for the past many years, I needed to do my waxing appointment! It took a while to figure out weather something like that is done here in Ghana and where! After some research, chatting to my girl friends here and some more expatriates, I went to the local sport center that also has a beauty treatment room and got it all over done with! I will not get into the details about the actually appointment, but will discuss the concept of beauty in Ghana.

Apparently, people do not tend to wax in Ghana. When I told Mr B that I am going for my waxing appointment and cant quite meet him yet, he cracked up in laughter and asked if I had ever seen a Ghanaian girl waxed! To which I responded - I am white, so that is why I do it!

And after speaking to the lady at the salon, she also said that locals do their manicures and pedicures quite often [very true - u see ladies doing manicures and pedicures on every corner in this town, just like braiding the hair], but not waxing!

The next beauty treatment I got to experience was hair cutting! Not for me thou! Local guys, when their hair reaches the length of about 3mm, feel itchy and feel like getting a hair cut! So this morning Mr B went it to do his hair and I got to witness that!

First of all - on the price list, the men's cut is 3Cds, but for whites it is 6Cds. Latter I was explained, that whites have more hair! hehehe Secondly - the whole thing was hilarious! Basically he was shaved. TOTALLY SHAVED and then the man put some talk on his scalp and hair spray, so that it shines! HAIR SPRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I cracked out in laughter at the salon and everyone was telling me that it is not my kind of hair spray, but the whole idea of spraying a bold head.. just funny!

Oh, and if we speak about the beauty standards - then I am beautiful here! VERRRRRRRRY BEAUTIFUL. My skin, hair and body lines - this is what people here consider beautiful! So every day I walk down the street and feel beautiful! Nevertheless, honestly speaking, it is very rarely that I feel so in Latvia, surrounded by the amount of gorgeous women! And to me - loads of the black girls here, could be statues and models - they are gorgeous!

UPSIDE DOWN world and beauty standards.

2 comments:

  1. Who is Mr.B?

    And you better get into the details of waxing. I am quite interested.

    ReplyDelete