Pages

Wednesday 20 October 2010

My first break down in Ghana.

Yesterday was my first breakdown, my first realy-sheck! It has been a month since I am away from Latvia, magically this time I feel like refering to it as home. I was feeling all super weird the whole day and didnt sleep well the night before. 24h of self-pitty and weeping. And it is normal, it is not the first time and I know that such days happen and some more will come.

In such days, I remove myself from the active social life, dive in the crowd and do some retail theraphy. Spoil myself with food and, perhaps, a movie.  So yesterday, I left home without really knowing where I am going. Went to the touristy centre of Accra, browsed some shops and bought couple of things, like a recycled material purse and trousers for myself. As for food, I spent fortune and got myself some Gauda cheese and pickled limes [indian food] along with marshmellos [that were my breakfast mates on Wednesday, along with a big mug of coffee and my first tropical rain storm behind the window].

And somewhere between feeling confused, alone, displaced, I hopped in a tro-tro and after 45 minutes spent in traffic, I found myself in front of the Accra Mall – also known as the Expat meeting place, the Western shopping place, night club and cinema. This is also the place, where you would find the supermarket ‘SHOPRITE’ that impressed me on my 2nd weekend in town. 

Ignoring the fact that I was 15min late, I still gave it a go and went to see a movie [things start late in Ghana], I finally saw ‘EAT.PRAY.LOVE.’ and loved it. Despite the fact that entire movie I would compare and try to recognise bits and pieces from the book, trying to find differences, I loved the scenes, the nature, the places... all of it! And while I felt like my Sunday lunch in Plienciems before going away was similar to her Thanks giving dinner in Italy, and London being my India [retail and art therephy being my meditation], I definatelly think that Ghana is my Bali. I am here after months of wanting to be here. I came with an empty mind, ready for universe to rush in and fill all the empty space in my mind. I am taking the adventure and what ever comes my way.

Yes, sometimes it is overwhelming and sometimes it will be hard, but when after days of disliking this place and then getting an instant click that this could be my new home, you have to follow your heart and give it a go. My dog days are over...I am here to live!

Thank you, Ghana, for welcoming me the way you have! 

1 comment:

  1. oh Ediite.... we all have days like that. at home. and away.
    But you of all people know how to get out of days like that.
    Hugs and chin up! ;)

    ReplyDelete