Pages

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Mystery of my garbage.

Ghana, which is many ways is one of the most developed countries in Africa and has loads to offer and we can learn from it a lot, is also in a region that is less developed in terms of community development and social care. For example, issues like equal access to education and medical services. Similar like it is in Latvia, the medical and educational institutions are not equally spread though the country to be equally accessible for everyone in the population.

This country of 20 million people consist of 10 regions, where the Southern Regions are much  more populated and, therefore, also much more advance. History this factor is explained with the fact that the south has the access to the very rich ocean, which provides the food for people.

Ghana being less developed, it also have some serious issues when it comes to garbage and littering as such. Every road side is used as urinal and hardly ever one can find a garbage can on the street side. [And it has nothing to do with bombing like it is in UK and public spaces.] So instead people drop the litter on the ground, just like that. And when that is combined with the amount of plastic used for things, heat and dust coming from the dirt roads... it can be overwhelming. Dirty.

Typical side street in Accra [also with the goats]
This was my impression of Ghana, as I had only seen the South Coast cities, including the 2 million Accra. Big was my surprise this past weekend, when I found myself in Kumasi - a city 4h from Accra inland. It was cleaner than Accra, I even saw multiple signs saying- KEEP KUMASI CLEAN. As well as I was explained that the local Cheap aka King makes every month's 3rd Saturday the clean up day and everyone cleans up the area. I find that fascinating - both for any country and especially for Africa. Look for yourself:















As for the general every day waste at home - I asked my land lady where does it go, she just pointed at the basket by the door and told me to put the garbage there and then the house-boy [a male that lives in our garage and is only seen after dark and very early in the morning, cause his day-time work is somewhere else...and in exchange for the boarding he tidies around the house and the house too.] will take care of it! Mystery of my garbage should be solved some time soon! hehehe


No comments:

Post a Comment