Pages

Thursday 21 October 2010

The dress.

In couple of days I am invited to attend a traditional ceremony here and despite the fact that I knew this almost 3 weeks ago, there are some issues with my outfit.

a. I do not have an appropriate outfit in my closet with me;
b. I do not know what is appropriate for such ceremony;
c. I can not find anything in the shops to buy;

So I thought that it would be a great reason to finally make something at one of the local talyors. Task Nr1 - choosing a material, that is nice and will look good on me. This particular bit kept me busy for about an hour on my weekend in Kumasi two weeks ago. Task Nr2 - is to find a tailor that actually cares about how you look in the final outfit. So my landlady and house-mate directed me to the one behind the wall of our yard! Right next door, good quality and result, apparently!

And after I have good through all these troubles...Mr B politely points out that material I got would not look all that great on me, wouldn't bring my natural beauty to attention. I laugh and say that it is too late for any changes - dress is about to be ready. He insists on buying a nice dress. After a day of shopping in the capital, we give up and after few drinks in a local bar, the night results with him calling some smart-ass designer and asking for a HUGE favor - to make me a dress in 48h [this all happens about 4 days before the ceremony]. I still try to argue with him, but pointless. I am accepting the grand gesture and keep sipping my drink.

The next day, some good sounding guys gives me a call to find out where I am and where he could take my measurements....it turns into him chasing after me through the city, till he finally spots me down at an open air concert at about 7pm. I excuse myself from my table and go and see the guy that does the magic! He looks at me, takes some measurement and pulls out a beautiful green-golden fabric and mumbles something about a simple, beautiful dress....

On day three, I am woken up from my nap with a call, asking where should he meet me so that I can try the dress on! [Note - between taking the measurements and the call it has been one night and a morning, so about 16h] So few hours I get another call with request to open my gate. Mr B and the tailor are here with ready made dress!!!

The result is good! I would have gone for something wilder, but also classic is great! heheh And funny enough, my other dress was ready too... they both saw it and Mr B admitted that he was wrong and I look astonishing! :) As a result - I have two BEAUTIFUL dresses and am off to get me some new shoes tomorrow morning!


Viva la vida in Ghana!

2 comments:

  1. Want to see photos! Of both dresses pls! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... will make sure to post them this week! Had quite few compliments for the white dress that Mr B got for me! Gosh, I hate to admit, but that man knows what he is talking about!

    ReplyDelete