Pages

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Natural disasters

I sit here in Ghana and every week, mostly via my friends' updates in FB, find out about new natural disasters, that strike the world. Every week a new region is hit with something and people are killed. Where there are no natural disasters (Australia, New Zealand ), there are protests. Where there are no protests, and idiot decided to kill someone for chewing the gum too loud (in France) or eating popcorn too loud during a movie (in Latvia). Lives are taken away and people are left in sadness, sorrow and pain.

I am very lucky in that matter, I come from a country that has a pray incorporated in it's anthem and many people believe that it protects our small country from natural disasters, that we are safe (unfortunately nothing will ever protect us from idiots leading the country). And here in Ghana, which is considered to be one of the safest and friendliest countries in Africa, I feel safe and blessed. Even when at night a taxi driver is taking me home in his hardly-moving, self made car. Cause he droves me up to gate and makes sure I get in the yard, only then one would pull away. (Of course there are occasional idiots, that complain that my street is too wobbly to even enter it, but in that case I enjoy the night walk pass the lit gates and palms on our street, wondering if the stars and moon look the same in Latvia. It is all good.)

And yet, what is happening around me in the world leaves me wondering what is going on in the world. It is not like I just started to think about it now, simply have been a bit busy and lost in the admiration of Ghana. But what is going on? Is there more we can do?

I am worried, mainly because I am very aware of the fact that I do not live in a small community, but the world is my home and a lot of these things are personal to me, since many of my friends come from the countries mentioned above. I sat through the revolution in Egypt, I prayed during the tsunami in Thailand in 2005, I read updates on Australia every day... it is no longer a far far place for me, it is something that means. It is personal. And yeah, sometimes I wish it wasn't, and I could just not care... but I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment