Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Rainbow religion aka my way of saying RELIGIOUS DIVERISTY

Yesterday I had to speak about the lessons I have learnt during my GAP year in Ghana [yeah, it looks like this is my Gap year, so far the best description for the time away in Ghana], and apart from the self discovery I have already described in some of my posts, I have also learnt a lot about the religious diversity we have in the world.

Back in university, when I was surrounded by people all around the world, I guess I was still a bit too young to dig the whole religion diversity card. I am not sure, I am ready to comprehend it all now, but I am certainty doing much better than 4 years ago.

For some of my world traveling friends, the religious diversity is as normal as for those living in UK, where you can see a mosque, temple and church on the same road. In Latvia, I am not sure we even have a temple and the only mosque we have, is well hidden in some 3 room flat, in Riga's suburb, as far as I know. Having been raised as atheist, where nobody ever talks about God, it is as interesting to discover everyone's diverse view on religion and how people speak to God, what God means to them.

I am not shy to say that I am new to this, I am still discovering my religion, and learning about other religions help, as it lets me to compare and use other religions as reference points. When I first moved to Ghana, I got to learn about the local people's relationship with God, their practices, when their masses are and what are the believes they share. How they morn and how they celebrate birth. Then there was a rapid insight into Muslim world, their believes, celebrations, foods... [One can argue that many of these things are more linked with culture than with religion, none of the less, culture is often very influenced by religion, especially that in the case of Arabs and Muslim religion]. Then  there is the Hinduism, which I never thought I would find here in Ghana, yet have been learning more about India now, that ever before [THX to my wonderful teachers]. And then there is also the tip of Jewish religion, that I am being introduced to...

And just like I was once pleasently surprised by the fact that you can get gluten free food in UK restaurants, I am plesantly surprised how religious diveristy is respected in Ghana. The knowledge who eats what, when and how, it's all being celebrated. At least in my diverse crowd of people, where we all join in for dinner after dark to share a meal and celebrate that day!

Life is too short to fight diversity, rather it shall be celebrated!

Today is day 2 in Ramadan, and I have a whole new respect for Muslims. I am proud I have learnt more about their religion and culture, to understand rather than judge. This year in Ghana has definitely thought me that!

Happy Ramadan, people all over the world!


To finish off, let me share an inspiring blog I found a few weeks ago:
Bon, I guess this post goes in line with the first tip I gave to a friend who's fasting in solidarity with her Saudi friends - which, I think it's really admirable and fosters mutual understanding across religions: Figure out what you're fasting for/towards. As with any productive venture, you need goals. What are yours? Hope you have a blessed Ramadan! Massalama my friends :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment