Pages

Thursday 21 July 2011

Patience and CS meeting in Ghana

Over the many years I have been a CSer and have organised CS meetings around the world, depending on where I land am, it was one of the most challenging ones to organize.

Normally to organize a CS meeting, similarly like you would do it with FB events, you just set the place, date and send out the invitations to people. So it does not take a genius to make a meeting, but I guess it takes some guts, experience and basic knowledge of what is CS and why does it exist.

So about 2 days ago I posted a CS meeting for the day after, included the info, the idea of the meeting [aka simple drinks after work, where we rewind from the day and meet other ppl], time, place and directions... and my phone nr, in case people cant find us at the spot!!!

Mistake Nr 1: assumption that people actually read the invitation! Starting from 30min after it was sent, till about an h after the meeting [in total about 37hours], I got like 50 phone calls, mainly asking WHERE IS THE PLACE! And it is ok to ask, it is great they call.. etc. but when the 30est person calls with the same question, my answer turned simply into  CLICK ON THE LINK!!! They just scan the invite, find a nr and call!!! The use of phones v common sense! lol

Mistake Nr 2: The concept of the meeting. We had set aside an area of the bar for u, where to gather, with basic idea being- see you around after work for few drinks, meet and chat! One gentleman asked for a floor at one point and asked who is the chairman of the meeting and what is the reachable outcome of this meeting! I love the sudden efficiency among Ghanaians, but not at 8pm, with beers in our hands, when everyone is already having a great time. Bottom line - I had to give a speech! :)

Mistake Nr 3: By signing my name, people felt obligated to report to me, their ability to attend or when they come, with whom they would come, and even, when they wanna leave... I had like 3 ppl walking up to me after a few hours saying in clear English 'Mamm, I need [or want to] go home, may I!?' I felt like being a teacher again!!! heheh


RESULT: we had like 40 people in the span of 3h to pass by the meeting place, those who were in true CS spirit, met each other easily, exchanged experiences and chatted the eve away! The turn up was amazing, people chatted, saw happy faces, made 2 new friends... And am happy to do it again! [this time different thou]

No comments:

Post a Comment