Pages

Monday 22 November 2010

Ghana is bad for my ears.

There is nothing to eat in my fridge, apart from sachets of gin and jar of tomato-peeper sauce. I made a tea to fill me up and between the sounds of TV on my left and church evening pray coming from my right, I am trying to concentrate and write couple of reasonable lines to make sense. 

The church is so loud, that I might consider moving away for this week, just because it will be going on every evening this week - loud and clear!!! 

It is ok to preach and pray, to go to church and believe, but I do have a problem with the screaming - singing - 'music' being played so loud, that everyone in the neighborhood is forced to listen. [Partly the problem being the lack of windows in Ghana. All they have here is glass shades and a net and bars, but nothing that would keep the dust, rain water (if shades are not put down) or sound coming in and out of the room]. One would think this is a reason why even more precaution should be done when being so super loud, but not in Ghana. Here everything and everyone is loud. If music is played in the bar -then so loud, that you can not have a conversation, if a party goes on and music is played, then so loud that you cant really hear the lyrics... if you wanna sell something on the streets, you use loud speaker and announce your message. And this happed every 100m on some busy streets, like Circle, for example. 

So it is nice to go to Togo for a weekend and listen in quietness, even in Tema [ a city about 30km from Accra] one can find a quite spot. It is nice to listen to quietness... oh, and change the rhythm of the music. :) 

Other than that - I love Ghana, my body loves Ghana...just if you could, please, be more thoughtful with my ears! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment