Pages

Tuesday 5 April 2011

European in Ghana aka Ediite is back from holidays

When there is the quite hour at work [which is pretty much any time between 9am and 5pm] and I have time to just stare out of the window into the Ghanaian life [my office has a huge window as the front wall, and it's on the 2nd floor], I am hyper - happy about my recent past and return back to Ghana. And I see couple of mistakes that Europeans do upon arrival in Ghana, which does not exclude me. I am surprised about that, as I consider myself knowing the local norms and customs, but 17 days in Europe can wipe them all out and the excitement of being able to wear only one layer of clothes, takes over.

I am lucky with the fact that I live with another European, who hasn't been in EU for a while, which makes her much more reasonable and logical than me and basically I have my own ethical and dress code radar, which I love to bits! :) Yesterday she saved me from going to work in see through top with just bra under it. Of course when you unpack your new set of clothes and are actually able to wear them, you just want to do it... forgetting what is the purpose for you dressing up this mornings [in yesterday's case it was - work]. Today I almost made the mistake of putting on my mini-skirt, which is very smart idea if you are ready to face extra attention, but not quite the most practical thing to wear in tro tro and on the way to work...

Other mistake I just did this morning - turned on my AC in the office, which is something I do rarely. This morning thou, my mind sort of thought - I have it, lets use it! My mistake, now I am cold and sneezing. Stupid European, me! :) 

My mind really needs to practice life in Ghana a bit more. 17 days in Europe has harmed it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment